Profile: Blind Freddy e-Bikes
What is an e-bike?
For those who are new to electric mobility, an e-bike is a manual bicycle with an electric motor which can assist when you are pedalling. This is known as pedelec and is a legal requirement in Australia. The assistance level can be selected by the rider and adjusted for the slope. The more power you use, the easier the hills will feel.
In Australia, e-Bikes must be restricted to 250W power for legal use on roads. Our bikes are typically powered by a 200W or 250W motor to tackle most terrain and fueled by a 36V 10.4Ah battery, so you can ride for over 50km between charges.
e-Bikes come in many styles and sizes. We specialise in folding e-bikes for travelling and commuting, step-through and flat bar urban and comfort rides in a range of price brackets including entry-level. We also stock a wide range of three-wheeled options to accommodate different balance and mobility restrictions as part of our standard and assisted technology range. We even have e-Scooters for those who prefer 2 very small wheels!
Who is Blind Freddy?
The reference to blind refers to venetian blinds! The name comes from the previous owner, Bruce, who had a venetian blind cleaning business before building the electric bikes for which he is now renowned. Although the name predates selling bikes, it has grown on us and our customers and is now synonymous with open, honest and helpful advise and a good range of high quality bikes at a reasonable price.
Andrea and Richard Herklots now own the business. While Richard has been known to ride nearly every day, it is e-Bikes which have brought Andrea back to riding again. New owners but the same service. Bruce and Jim continue in the business and our new look and space should make coming to our store a more comfortable process.
What can Blind Freddy e-Bikes do for you?
We strive to keep our prices low without compromising on quality, function, appeal or serviceability. We stock e-Bikes designed and configured by our team and compliant with international standards (EN15194), imported directly to the store to keep costs down. We also stock locally distributed e-Bikes to extend our range and can order in specific models upon request. Our BF-branded bikes are exclusive to us and we are proud of the quality and reliability of our range.
Many want a bike which can handle our local conditions. Our e-Bike customers benefit from:
- strong and light-weight frames made from low corrosive material to suit our coastal conditions and make handling easier
- clear provenance of batteries supplied with genuine Samsung, Panasonic or LG cells and certified chargers for safety and peace of mind
- great performing for typically over 50km riding and sometimes up to 100km in 1 charge
- easy-mount designs in bikes and trikes to help older riders avoid swinging their legs too high
- fewer punctures resulting from kevlar-shielded tyres
- local servicing and a dedicated workshop stocked with spare parts, accessories and replacements to keep our customers on the road longer
- an experienced team focussed on helping those new to e-Bikes as well as the dedicated traveller, commuter or recreational rider
We want you to enjoy riding, to take the challenge of riding more and for more reasons and to share that enjoyment back with the community which has provided the bike. See you soon!
Andrea and Richard Herklots, proud owners of Blind Freddy e-Bikes